On Sunday, January 17th, 2021, each member unit of Congregation Or Chadash received an invitation to vote electronically on the Plan of Consolidation (PoC). You can view the PoC and its supporting documents here.
Our collaboration with Temple Emanu-El has gone through several stages. On this page, you can view the documents and reports from each of those stages, as well as read the most recent updates from the Joint Executive Committee.
The Executive Committees of the Board of Directors of both Temple Emanu-El and Congregation Or Chadash have combined to be the Joint Executive Committee for the purpose of moving our communities to be a new congregation. We have created sub-committees for the purpose of working on the specific details necessary to make this change happen in a timely manner. Some of the work underway is the following:
- Preliminary work done on a combined budget with a proposed organizational structure.
- Further review of current and anticipated costs needed.
- Plan a timeline to roll out the listening sessions developed.
- Facilitators and note-takers (a.k.a. scribes) are being organized.
- Groups of congregants for listening campaign created.
- Renovations to Temple Emanu-El to accommodate combined Religious School is top priority.
- Other facilities improvements to be determined by financial impact.
- Planning for Fall 2020 continues with meetings on a nearly weekly basis.
- JEC reports will be sent via each congregation’s regularly scheduled email blast bi-weekly.
- Additional communications, perhaps videos, will be distributed as well.
There will be multiple opportunities for you to be involved and to have your voice heard. We want to know your thoughts, ideas, and vision for our new congregation. Please contact your congregation’s president Elaine Jones, Or Chadash email@example.com.
As always, thank you for your commitment and passion you bring to our congregations!
Elaine Jones, Or Chadash President
Mona L. Gibson, Temple Emanu-El
Introduction to the Task Force Reports
In early 2019, the Boards of Directors of Congregation Or Chadash and Temple Emanu-El initiated discussions between representatives of each congregation (“Ambassadors”) to consider a possible future together under two scenarios:
- Continued or increased collaborations in targeted areas, such as Religious School and Sisterhood.
- A future merger with analysis of potential positive outcomes, negative aspects and possible strategies to address barriers to successful merger.
In August 2019, with the guidance of Rabbi Fine of URJ, we populated eight (8) task forces to explore key aspects of the two scenarios. 1) Finance 2) Governance 3) Facilities 4) Religious School 5) Worship 6) Clergy 7) Communications 8) Joint Programming. The reports for the first six will be sent out to congregations ahead of town halls as follows: There will be no reports from Communications or Joint Programming as these dealt with ongoing activities not with projections about our future.
Sunday, Nov 3: Finance and Governance reports at Or Chadash 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and at Temple Emanu-El 1:00-2:00 p.m.
Sunday, Nov 17: Facilities and Religious Schools at Or Chadash 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and at Temple Emanu-El 1:00-2:00 p.m.
Sunday Dec 8: Worship and Clergy at Or Chadash 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and at Temple Emanu-El 1:00-2:00 p.m.
Please click on the tabs below to read the Finance and Governance reports.
Task Force Reports
Introduction to the Ambassadors' Reports
One of our efforts to offer joint programming for Congregation Or Chadash and Temple Emanu-El was the Second Day Rosh Hashanah services. Rabbi Louchheim and Rabbi Appel led services together. Many congregants from Or Chadash joined Temple in services on Tuesday, and all together we were nearly 100 individuals sharing in a wonderful experience. Several […]
The Ambassadors are leaders from Temple Emanu-El Tucson and Congregation Or Chadash charged with exploring the possibilities of greater collaboration. This team is looking at how we may benefit and what would be involved if we were to join our two synagogues. Representatives from Temple Emanu-El are Scott Arden, Mona Gibson, Steve Tofel, Joe Millstone, […]
Dear Congregants, Congregation Or Chadash and Temple Emanu-El have realized over the past few years that we have an opportunity to explore combined strengths. Recently, we have begun to consider how each congregation may benefit from collaborative efforts in providing education and spiritual programs. In recent years, synagogues in the Tucson area (and nationwide) have […]