On Sunday, January 17th, 2021, each member unit of Congregation Or Chadash received an invitation to vote electronically on the Plan of Consolidation (PoC). You can view the PoC and its supporting documents here.
Our collaboration with Temple Emanu-El has gone through several stages. On this page, you can view the documents and reports from each of those stages, as well as read the most recent updates from the Joint Executive Committee.
The Joint Executive Committee, which includes members of the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors of both Temple Emanu-El and Congregation Or Chadash, have continued to meet for the purpose of moving our communities toward being a new congregation. Information from our currently formed sub-committees about the work underway includes the following:
Finance Committee (Jerry Cohen and Marty Zuckerman)
- proposed draft of combined budget was reviewed.
- budget includes assumptions for COVID-19 impact and based on current policies/procedures.
- narrative and identification of assumptions will be prepared for next meeting.
Project Management (Scott Arden and Emily Joseph)
- Trello will be used as communication tool within and amongst committee
Listen-Shape-Share (Libby Quinn and Beverly Sandock)
- facilitators and notetakers (a.k.a. scribes) being organized and training to be scheduled soon.
- three-minute video from committee members about their thoughts on what our future will look like is nearly completed and will be posted/distributed very soon.
Vision/Naming (Scott Arden)
- team developed and committee kick-off to be held soon.
- much of the information gleaned from the Listen/Shape/Share work will be used to develop the mission and create future of new congregation.
Youth Education (Rina Liebeskind and Seth Ruskin)
- return to school in a virtual or on-site setting depends on COVID-19 status.
- communication to families is being developed and will be distributed shortly.
There will be multiple opportunities for you to be involved and to have your voice heard. We want to know your thoughts, ideas and vision for our new congregation. Please contact your congregation’s president to advise Scott Arden/Elaine Jones of your interest by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
As always, thank you for your commitment and the passion you bring to our congregation!
Mona L Gibson, Temple Emanu-El, IPP.
Introduction to the Task Force Reports
In early 2019, the Boards of Directors of Congregation Or Chadash and Temple Emanu-El initiated discussions between representatives of each congregation (“Ambassadors”) to consider a possible future together under two scenarios:
- Continued or increased collaborations in targeted areas, such as Religious School and Sisterhood.
- A future merger with analysis of potential positive outcomes, negative aspects and possible strategies to address barriers to successful merger.
In August 2019, with the guidance of Rabbi Fine of URJ, we populated eight (8) task forces to explore key aspects of the two scenarios. 1) Finance 2) Governance 3) Facilities 4) Religious School 5) Worship 6) Clergy 7) Communications 8) Joint Programming. The reports for the first six will be sent out to congregations ahead of town halls as follows: There will be no reports from Communications or Joint Programming as these dealt with ongoing activities not with projections about our future.
Sunday, Nov 3: Finance and Governance reports at Or Chadash 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and at Temple Emanu-El 1:00-2:00 p.m.
Sunday, Nov 17: Facilities and Religious Schools at Or Chadash 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and at Temple Emanu-El 1:00-2:00 p.m.
Sunday Dec 8: Worship and Clergy at Or Chadash 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and at Temple Emanu-El 1:00-2:00 p.m.
Please click on the tabs below to read the Finance and Governance reports.
Task Force Reports
Introduction to the Ambassadors' Reports
The Ambassadors created eight task forces to actively envision what a merger of our congregations would look like, identify any hurdles that would conflict with this future, and provide possible solutions to these issues. Six of these task forces will be reporting to our congregations during November and early December in order for the members […]
The Ambassadors’ Reports earlier this month explored the national and local trends that spurred Congregation Or Chadash and Temple Emanu-El to begin a conversation about strengthening Reform Judaism in the Tucson community by considering a path toward a merger. Before anything is decided or any vote is cast by our congregants, we will be distributing […]
In last week’s report, the Ambassadors explained the national and local trends weakening synagogue affiliation. This resulting decrease in membership places a financial burden on our congregations and limits the services and programming we are able to provide. However, Or Chadash and Temple have a history of sharing core values, sharing in the vision of […]
At our last Ambassadors meeting, held on the evening after Yom Kippur, we discussed some of the common questions raised by our congregants both in group meetings and on an individual basis. One such theme was the concern regarding whether it was necessary for our congregations to begin this conversation in the first place. When […]