Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Classes held via Zoom
Talmud study has been going at Temple Emanu-El for many years, and we’d love you to you join us! No experience necessary—just an interest in learning more about this important fundamental text of rabbinic Judaism. There are no Talmudic experts in the group; even those of us who have attended for years are far from expert, but we have continued attending because it’s both interesting and fun.
The Talmud study group began studying Part 2 of Tractate Sanhedrin in December 2020. We’d love to have you join us! No experience necessary. None of us are Torah or Talmud scholars!
Part 2 contains chapters 7-11, whose topics are outlined below. The volume we will use is the Koren Talmud Bavli, Noe Edition, Sanhedrin Part 2 by Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz, which is available from Amazon (click here). A much less expensive PDF version of this volume, readable on your computer or tablet, is available for only $9.95 if preferred. Contact Steve Shawl below.
The chapters are:
- The 4 types of capital punishments, details of crimes which merit stoning (in fact stoning was only actually done if the convict survived being dropped off a 5-meter cliff first)
- The rebellious son, and other crimes for which the offender is killed before committing the actual prohibition, and the commandments which Jews are to die before violating
- Details of crimes meriting capital punishment by burning (actually the pouring of hot lead down the throat, the Sadducee heretics instead used burning at the stake) or beheading; auxiliary punishments
- Details of crimes meriting capital punishment by strangulation (i.e. hanging)
- The World to Come and who does not receive it.
Contact Steve Shawl for more information.