Congregation Or Chadash’s Social Justice and Action Committee pursues the Jewish tenets of Tikkun Olam (repairing the world) and Gemilut Chasidim (acts of loving kindness). There are two basic facets to what we do. First is to partner with existing organizations to help the needy in our community and second is to inform our congregants of important issues that can influence life in Arizona. Membership on the committee is open to all members of the congregation. Meetings are held on the second Monday of the month at 1:30 p.m.
Some of our projects include:
- Primavera Men’s Shelter: Prepare lunches once a month for the men who go out on various jobs.
- TIHAN (Tucson HIV/Aids Network): Prepare a lunch with other faith organizations for around 150 individuals, once a year. Also collect needed supplies for those suffering from HIV/Aids.
- Wright Elementary School: Volunteer in the classroom and after school to help those students with remedial needs. Collect school supplies for the teachers and books for the students.
- Caridad Community Kitchen: Assist the people there in packing around 2000 lunches/day for people of all ages. Done on an irregular schedule.
- Pima County Interfaith Council: Address important issues in our community such as education and voting in a non-partisan way through speakers and key information.
- Support a Refugee Family
- Project Isaiah: Collect food for the Southern Arizona Food Bank over the High Holy Days